COVID-19: 3 Returnees Evacuated From Dubai To Nigeria Have Tested Positive In Lagos

The Health Commissioner in Lagos, Prof. Akin Abayomi, announced that three of the people recently evacuated to Nigeria from Dubai, United Arab Emirates, tested positive for Coronavirus in Lagos.

In a post on his Twitter account on Sunday, Abayomi said: “Three of the recently evacuated returnees from Dubai have tested positive for the # COVID-19 infection following the # COVID19 test done on them.

“Those affected have entered the # COVID19 care center in Lagos to receive adequate treatment protocols.”
He said the positive evacuees were taken to one of the isolation centers to receive additional treatment. However, Abayomi did not disclose which of the hotels the patients were discovered. Evacuees have been observing the mandatory 14-day quarantine in Lagos since their arrival in Nigeria. Remember that the voluntary evacuees who were initially stranded in the United Arab Emirates since the introduction of the COVID-19 blockade by the country arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, on May 6, around 07:40 pm, through a Emirates airline
Upon arrival, they were quickly placed over a 14-day period in line with the World Health Organization and the government’s COVID-19 protocol at an undisclosed hotel in Ikeja and Lekki, respectively. Earlier in the week, one of the evacuees reportedly died of complications from COVID-19, but was later fired by Abayomi, who said the actual cause of death was still under investigation. The commissioner, therefore, urged residents “to remain committed to the guidelines that guide the prevention of COVID infection19, regardless of the relaxation of the confinement.” Meanwhile, the other evacuees had rebuked the Nigerian Disease Center, NCDC and the state government for neglecting them in hotels without proper care. However, the controversy began after the death of a 32-year-old man, one of the evacuees for the cause of death. Abayomi, initially through her official Twitter account on Tuesday, announced that the returnee died of COVID-19 complications.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *