Searching the web for ideas for crispy chocolate covered rice treats? These recipes are deliciously delicious and the techniques make it easy to coat the goodies in the chocolate. What are you doing them for? What is the occasion? Are these party favors, for a gathering, or are you just salivating over chocolate right now? If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you will find something you like here.
I love double chocolate, right? If so, you’ll love these chocolate dipped treats topped with mini chocolate chips, drizzled chocolate, and chocolate chip cookie crumbs. And why don’t we cheat on these goodies? Let’s use all the different white, dairy and dark chocolates for our ingredients and coatings.
First, we’ll start with a recipe for making treats, so here’s the one I use. I prefer to make mine from scratch instead of using the ones in stores. That way I can customize the size. If your treats are for a lot of people, then you may end up making two or more batches of this recipe.
Crispy Rice Treats Recipe
-6 cups of crispy rice cereal
-1/2 stick butter or margarine
-1 bag of marshmallows (preferably small marshmallows) 10 oz.
- Spray the baking sheet or saucepan with cooking spray. Set aside. Pour the crunchy cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan over low heat. Spray the wooden spoon with cooking spray.
- Once the butter begins to melt, add the marshmallows and stir immediately. Let the marshmallows and butter melt completely until liquefied.
- Remove from the heat and pour into the bowl filled with cereal. Stir with a spoon or spray your fingers with the cooking spray and mix by hand.
- Once it is completely mixed, pour it onto the baking sheet or plate. Spray your fingers with cooking spray and press down on the baking sheet to the desired thickness. The depth of the tray or pan will determine the depth of your treats. For thicker treats, choose a deeper tray or plate.
- Place in the refrigerator to set faster for about 15 minutes. Once cooled and hardened, remove from the refrigerator.
- Remove the hardened cereal mix from the tray or plate and place it on a large cutting board. With a large, sharp knife (I prefer a chef’s knife) cut squares. Return each award to the baking sheet to prepare the chocolate decoration.
Ok, now for the fun party decor! Let’s set up our decorating station first. This is what we need:
Rice Crispy Treats Decorating Station
-Decorative plate. place one award at a time, decorate, and then set it aside.
-Baking tray / Cookie sheet. Place the finished goodies here.
-2-3 medium bottles of plastic sauce and 4-6 capsules. You will fill them with the melted chocolate and these will be the tools that will help you decorate the sweets in the cleanest and most efficient way. Replacing the lids with hardened chocolate in the openings is easier than cleaning them over and over again. way that i have discovered yet. ** If you want to cover your treats with different types of chocolate than at least use one per type and keep an additional empty bottle in case you need it.
-2-3 wide, tall glasses. The sauce bottles go in these. Fill them 1/3 of the way with warm water. The warm water should touch the sides of the bottle to keep the chocolate melted. DO NOT USE HOT WATER or the chocolate may stick (thicken), just warm water.
-Casserole sauce. Glasses and bottles enter here. Fill this 1/3 to 1/2 way with water, place it on the stove (or portable burner), and heat over low heat.
-Bowls for toppings. one bowl for each topping; mini white chocolate chips, mini dark chocolate chips, mini milk chocolate chips and crushed cookies.
-Lots of clean towels. Paper or cloth, whichever you prefer. Clean your hands and get ready for another cleaning.
Melt the chocolate
Here is an easy way to melt chocolate. Pour a bag of semi-sweet chocolate topping wafers (or the type you’re using right now) into a thick, sealable plastic bag that is used to freeze. Microwave and melt 50% for 1 minute. The chocolate will not yet melt completely. Remove the bag and work with your fingers to grind the chocolate. Squeeze as much as possible and then return the bag to the microwave. Melt again with 50% power for 30 seconds. Remove and work the chocolate with your fingers. If it is not liquid yet. Repeat the last step for 30 seconds. DO NOT HEAT THE CHOCOLATE or it will seize up. Remove the cap from a bottle and place it on the counter or table. Cut a bottom corner of the bag. Squeeze the chocolate out of the bag at the bottom, as if squeezing out the toothpaste. Put the cap back on the bottle. Place the bottle in one of the glasses with lukewarm water, and then place the bottle in the saucepan with lukewarm water.
Chocolate topping technique for crispy rice treats
I. Chocolate covered with chocolate chips. The trick is to apply the shavings while the chocolate layer is still wet, then allow both to harden at room temperature. The dip can be messy, so I cover the treats with the sauce bottles. It is much easier. A few steps will make the whole process easier and the treats will look great!
- Borders. This is not to show, just to create a “fence” in which to fill the rest of the chocolate coating. Using a bottle of sauce and working with one treat at a time. Create a chocolate border around the edges of the top of each award (we won’t cover the sides or bottom) and then set aside on the baking sheet. Create borders for all the treats first before proceeding to the next step. Put the bottle back in a glass of warm water. Let the chocolate in treats set for a few minutes.
- Filling. One treat at a time each filled with melted chocolate using the sauce bottles. I find it easier to start from “closing” the edges and then work towards the center. Do not fill completely. Leave a space in the center. DO NOT LEAVE THE CHOCOLATE SET, immediately take the one working on the sides and tap it against the pan until the chocolate fills the empty spaces. Go to the next step, then go back to this step until all the treats are ready. Do this treatment at once. To adhere the chocolate chips to the treatment, the chocolate coating must be moist.
- Chocolate chips. Take some fries with your hands and sprinkle over the wet chocolate, once again, one delight at a time. Mix and match if you want with the different types of chocolate. Set the treat aside on the baking sheet. Finish all the goodies. Let the chocolate settle for several minutes.
II Crushed Chocolate Chip Cookies. The method of adding the cookie crumbs to your treats will be the same as the previous process for adding chocolate chips. There are a few ways I can crush cookies. Choose your favorite chocolate chip sandwich. Remove the cream from the middle and eat it! However, it will not be necessary for decoration. Place the cookies in sealable plastic bags and flatten them with your hands. I prefer to place the bag on a cutting board and lightly crush it with a rubber mallet. You can also use a food processor, just don’t mix them too fine for them to turn into powder, they should be thick. Pour the crumbs into a filling bowl at your station.
Now just follow the same steps we did for the chocolate chips.
III. Drizzle. Follow the same steps as the previous methods except that instead of creating borders and filling with chocolate, create zig-zag lines across the entire surface of the treats. Then let the chocolate set. Use one type of chocolate or mix different ones.
BONUS. Apply all methods. Have fun. Sprinkle with crushed cookies and chocolate chips. Add drizzle to chips and cookies. Whichever style you prefer. ENJOY!